Today I finally put to use my Mum's Olympus OM-1 35mm film camera. She gave me it several months ago as it'd been sitting in a box for a few years, I've been meaning to use it but not got round to it until recently. What pushed me was my Nikon workhorse lens breaking (Nikkor 18-70mm) and I went to 'West Yorkshire Cameras: The Proper Camera Shop' to ask about it being fixed. While I was there I bought some of their own Black and White 400ASA film to use in the OM-1.
I went for a walk around with Scarlett Carson today who was looking to shoot architecture, while I tried to figure out how to shoot with no help. The Olympus does have an exposure meter in the viewfinder but requires a battery that is near enough impossible to find these days (if anyone reading this can correct me and show me where to get one, please do) so I was essentially going off of past experience/skill and hope. The lens I was carrying around with me was an Olympus 28mm 2.8, it's a lovely piece of glass and still has very tight aperture and focus rings.
I only took the one lens for a couple of reasons, the first reason being that the other two lenses my mum had (a 50mm and a 135mm) seem to have a problem with their aperture rings, when I moved them, the blades didn't seem to move. And the other reason being I wanted to limit my choices, forcing me to 'zoom with my feet' and think more about how to achieve shots I wanted.
I really enjoyed the limitations of using a film camera, no autofocus, no exposure meter, no zoom option and only using an ASA of 400. This left me only able to change my shutter speed and my aperture. Focus was fairly easy to achieve (although i've not seen the pictures yet) but to see what I was doing easily I had to open the aperture to 2.8 so the viewfinder was at it's brightest, then I'd typically stop down to f5.6 or f8 to take an image, with a shutter speed of 1/125th. I did take a couple of images at f2.8 and raised my shutter speed to 1/250th or 1/500th depending on how much light seemed to be hitting the subject. I'm hoping these images all come out ok, but honestly I have no idea.
The roll I used was 27 exposures and I think I've shot 26 of them so far. I have an idea for my last one (involving a cigar) which I am going to shoot in the morning before sending off the roll to be exposed. My idea for this last shot is to also shoot it with my D7000 and my 18-70mm replacement, the 16-85mm, to make sure I get the correct exposure on the OM-1 and to also compare the difference when I have them both. I'll scan the photos when they're finished and share them to show the results with you all.